Monday, March 2, 2009

BET'S Rip The Runway

St. Vincent Swimwear

Did anyone catch Rip The Runway on BET? It was hosted by actress Joy Bryant and the sexy Derek Luke. I enjoy watching the show every year and I like that it's an all Black production but for the most part I always feel like the designs are mediocre. I'm not comparing it to white designers or any other race, It's just that the fashions shown never stand out to me or scream "FASHION". Can I have some more creativity? Maybe it's because of the amateur models and the distractions from the performers. Keri Hilson did an amazing performance though! Her whole look was hot and so where her dancers. Keri's finally found her own unique style. Project Runways Korto showed a collection that wasn't up to par, it looked like 10 steps backwards from the collection she showed at Bryant Park last year. My favorite of the night was Byron Lars. I did some research on him after the show and Women's Wear Daily dubbed him "rookie of the year". His line was is available at prestigious retailers such as Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale’s as well as one hundred other specialty stores throughout the U.S. along with some distribution in the U.K. and France. I've been trying to support designers of color lately to get some diversity in my closet.


[I know big girls need love too, and I love them but it's never okay to put a big girl in a GOLD LAME swimsuit!]

Two pieces Korto showed @ Rip the Runway. =/



Korto's better days. =]




Byron Lars Beauty Mark Collection. =]

No comments: