Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Maybe I should move to Paris



I know I'm not the only one who complains that American Vogue is boring in terms of cutting edge fashion, but after reading an article on CNN.com about Roitfeld and rumors of her replacing Anna Wintour as the editor in chief at American Vogue I then realised that the two magazines cater to two very diffrent crowds. "Roitfeld is accustomed to the speculation, describing it as "frustrating." She told CNN she hadn't been offered the job and even if she was she probably wouldn't take it." "I'm very happy at French Vogue to be able to do everything -- almost everything -- I want in the magazine," she said. "It would be too political at American Vogue for me." At Vogue Paris, Roitfeld knows her readers. They are a select group of incredibly stylish and wealthy women who are thrilled rather than alienated by unconventional ideas.At French Vogue, there's less pressure to appeal to the masses. Its circulation of some 139,000 is dwarfed by the million plus readers of American Vogue. French Vogue Fashion shoots are more about fantasy and there's no importance to make any clothes they feature wearable. If it's unusual and innovative, then it's in. As an avid magazine reader, I find joy in making unconventional fashion from magazines wearable, but American Vogue normally features looks that you can wear straight off the pages and thus takes all the imagination and creativity out of it for me. I like Anna Wintour and I think she has been doing a great job as editor in chief since the 80's but I'm starting to feel like our Vogue doesn't cater to my needs anymore. It's watered down and I can't stand it any longer. I want to move to Paris where the covers are celebrity free. Long live Carine.

- US Vogue is also stirring up controversy over Beyonce being on the "Shape" issue. A lot of women are insulted by the "REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES" line. Do you see how politically correct US Vogue has to be? I'm not offended, just give me fashion damn it! I proud of Vogue for featuring two Black women on the cover consecutively, it's a first for the magazine.


Source:cnn.com/europe

No comments: